Sunday, April 26, 2020

Work Place Ethics in Two Different Cultures.

I watched the erstwhile anchor of Hardball on MSNBC, Chris Matthews, as he apologized profusely (during an interview) for his “inappropriate behavior” when he paid compliments to a woman about her cute appearance. Listening to him, I had a flash back to some of the no-holds-barred jokes we used to make in NAL Merchant Bank of those days in Nigeria. I remember the time a woman jocularly slapped her male colleague in the butt and the guy insisted on taking “revenge”. And one particular guy, who went on to become a pastor & the CEO of a bank, was reputed for constantly yelling in the banking hall while joking with women; “Hey, I’ll tear off your panties.” In retrospect, I do wonder what a sharp contrast there is between the two different work environments.

No comments: