Sunday, June 21, 2015

A Fathers’ Day Reflection.

A couple of days ago, a childhood friend and I were reflecting on fatherhood. We both wondered how, on Fathers’ Days, every man whose loin has produced a kid wants to be celebrated as a father. Yet, if the truth must be told, among us are men who are forever missing-in-action as fathers. There are also some men who have to be compelled by the courts before they start paying child supports.Blog_father

What about the “Disney fathers”? They only appear once in a while, take their kids to parks or wherever and then disappear. Finally, there are men who, though live under the same roofs with their kids, they are emotionally distant. These are guys whose idea of fatherhood is on “auto-pilot”. And like the way eagles drop their eaglets from tree-tops, whoever survives the total act of ignominy among their kids eventually becomes the favorite. Just watch the annual shows such as the Oscars, Grammy and BET awards. You’ll hear winners shower praises on their mothers without a word on their fathers.

In retrospect, my friend remarked that both of us have been lucky to have stress-free, blissful fatherhood. None of our kids even subjected us to the dreadful teen age craziness. While acknowledging that fact, I however noted that mine has not been due to a mere luck. It has been due largely to the grace of God. To start with, God blessed me with the most dynamic, wonderful partner/wife/mother. Unlike most couples, during our courtship days, my wife and I almost talked each other to death as we mapped out plans for the future. One such plan was on the “modus operandi” to adopt in the raising of our kids. It took a while but the kids have since realized that our parenting principle is based on a joint, pro-active one-voice-consensus. Whatever mommy decides in regard to any child gets the nod of daddy, and vice versa. Hence, the task of parenting comes easily for us. It’s been no wonder therefore that the kids have turned out to be the sanctuary of our joy, peace and love. Above all, to God be the glory!

Happy Fathers’ Day!!!

29 comments:

Wendy Simpsons said...

What do I say, this is awesome!

Shante Green said...

Uhmmmmm! Awesome, as usual! Please keep it up!

Cornelius Daley said...

This is very inspiring!

Christiana Benson said...

With this piece, please accept a very SPECIAL Happy fathers' day shout out from me. You're too much!

Bolanle Akanbi said...

My brother, this is just too awesome! As usual, yours is not just another fathers' day platitude. You always have a way of analyzing current issues. Good job!

Debbie Hayes said...

I wish there are many men (especially the young men) will read this piece and learn from it. Kudos!

Aretha Watson said...

Great piece-and Happy fathers' day!

Aduke Adesanya said...

What a God-fearing father you are! I appreciate your crediting the bulk of your successful fatherhood to God and your wife. You're blessed sir!

David Simpson said...

You never fail to inspire with your fluid writing. I rarely made a big deal out of fathers' day. But you touched me mightily with this piece. Like every institution in the United States, fatherhood has been so F#@$% - up that it's amazing there are not more retarded bastards like that dumbo piece of shit who shot and killed all those nice people in Charleston, SC. Good piece!

Anike Adebayo said...

God bless you sir for this great piece of writing. Yes, every man wants to be seen as a father on Fathers' Day merely because they biologically bring a child to this world (with no thanks to some foolish women who will spread their stupid legs for every dangling object out there).

April Williams said...

Have I wished you a Happy Special Fathers' Day today? now, you've got it! You always hit the nail on the head. Thanks for a cute piece.

Beverly said...

This is pretty awesome!

Angela Iglessias said...

“Disney fathers”? You have appropriately described some guys I know...lol.

Angela Iglessias said...

Come to think of it! Every year, we see all those actors and singers at Grammys and BET (especially BET) thank their mothers and ignoring their dead-beat fathers. But check out their own lives as well. Many of them are also dead-beat fathers until their baby mamas run after them with court cases to ask for child supports. They make sad history repeat itself in their lives. What a shame! Thanks for this piece!

Henry Pierce said...

Great piece! Lets hope though that many men will take something out of this piece and be a real father to their kids.

Isaiah Campbell said...

I'm reading this piece for the third time today and truly, I am touched and inspired. You may not know it but you just changed my life. And I promise from this moment to do the right thing by my kids. Yes, I promise. Thanks man!

Keyana said...

I am going to download this blog right now and show it to my dead-beat baby daddy. The motherf&*^%$ needs to learn from your writing about being a real father.

Joy Peoples said...

This is a great food for thought! Yes, on fathers day, all men want to be seen and greeted as fathers. Yet, too many of them are deadbeat bastards! Thanks for this piece.

Mary Johnson said...

Good piece. And happy fathers' day brother!

Lucy Landon said...

What a great piece! I've never read such a thought-provoking piece like this on a day like this. Please keep it up!

Jumoke Bankole said...

My great brother, I love the way and manner that you dissected this topic. Now, I know why you cherish and adore your children so much. I also now know why you celebrate your wife at every opportunity. You are indeed blessed! May God continue to be with your nice, sweet family.

Luke Buttler said...

Thanks for the admonition in this piece. This is food for thought for us men. Kudos!

John Boyd said...

I envy you men. But as you stated here, God has been playing a great role in your life and you're also doing your bit as a father and husband. God bless you all the more!

Marjorie Williams said...

How I wish all great men/fathers will accord some credits to their wives as you do. You also give all the glory to God. Bottomline: You are a God-fearing, wonderful family man. i wish I were your wife....just kidding!

Margaret Idowu said...

This is very thought-provoking sir. I always appreciate your writings especially on sensitive issues that many bloggers and writers shy away from. You always appreciate God in your life and you always show love and adoration to your wife. Pls keep up the good deeds sir. And may may God continue to empower you.

Tamika Jones said...

This is pretty lovely! I've downloaded it for forwarding to my friends. Good piece!

Mary Johnson said...

This is awesome. And happy fathers day to you.

Timothy McFadden said...

Wow! As a man, you really touched me here with this piece. Man, this is touching!

Terri McDaniels said...

I will definitely forward this write-up to as many men as possible. Every man out there needs to read this thought-provoking piece. It's so much of a food for thought because what you wrote here is real and happening every where. Kudos!